Monday 19 October 2009

Book choice- continued!

I'm interested in Stern's book to catch a sense of his view of climate change without his economics hat on! How has his close work with theUK government influenced his perspective? Has he adopted the "joined up" thinking of Blair's labour government? Does he hint at a role for alternative economics in the battle against climate change? Finally, I believe that he's the type of guy that we need to listen to- and learn from- in order to respond effectively.

2 comments:

  1. good choice, Sam, and wasn;t it Stern who said climate change is the biggest market failure of our time? I'm guessing that means he's taking a fairly economistic approach - ie - get the prices right - but given the timescales we're looking at, I wonder too if he might have some more alternative tricks up his sleeve... keep us posted!

    ReplyDelete
  2. For some reason the comment I made on Sunday didn't appear....
    What I was wondering was that I heard there was some debate around the discount rates he was using to value future benefits - individuals though they were too low. Would be interested in hearing a bit more about this when you've the time!

    ReplyDelete